11 September 2006

Why St. Cecilia?

She's the patron saint of singers, that's why! My mother always encouraged me to sing, because that way I never misplaced my instrument. So, I was in choir from 4th-12th grade, then church choirs, then I got a dream come true opportunity in 1995 to sing in the nuns' chorus and play Sister Margaretta for our Civic Theatre's production of The Sound of Music. Not exactly my dream part, but I sang along with Maria from the wings.

We "nuns" had so much fun singing together that we formed an ensemble, In Dulci Jubilo (With Sweet Rejoicing) and I kept my voice in shape doing that for a few years. So, I can sing in English, Latin, French, and some German; I might not understand what I am singing, but I can figure out how to pronounce it! Several of the selections we used were sacred. I love the old old old hymns! I had NO IDEA that Ave Maria had so many different tunes! I sang it in (public) high school choir and then with the ensemble but I had to relearn it because it was a completely different arrangement.

I currently just sing at church with the congregation, and at home, much to my kids' chagrin. (I like to sing silly songs to them, badly.) A forever have a song in my heart praising the Lord for all He has done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home