18 September 2006

God Whispers

I have been praying for wisdom and direction. In my life God has placed several Christians who converted from Protestantism to Roman Catholicism. These are not people who were disgruntled or hurt by their protestant church in any way, but were seeking God earnestly and he led them to Rome. (The testimony of a couple of them indicates that it was very much against THEIR will, and they dug in their heels the whole way.) These were not people with a vague understanding of the Bible easily tossed about by every wind of doctrine. These were intelligent, Biblically literate people who gave up life as they knew it to follow where God led them, the Roman Catholic Church.

I still have some "insurmountables" that haven't been adequately addressed in a way that I feel is substantial; but as I was humming through a Kutless song, "Promise of a Lifetime"

"I am holding on to the hope I have inside,
With You I will stay through every day
Putting my understanding aside,
I am comforted
To know You're always there
To hear my every prayer
Inside I'm clinging to
The promise of a lifetime..."

and then my thoughts naturally (or supernaturally perhaps) gravitated to the verses in Proverbs. Yup, you know ... Chapter 3:

1 My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments;
2 For length of days and years of life
And peace they will add to you.
3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart.
4 So you will find favor and good repute
In the sight of God and man.
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes;
Fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
8 It will be healing to your body
And refreshment to your bones. (NASB)

**SIGH** This is a lesson in TRUST and putting away MY understanding of the way things are. I get it now. I love to read and study Scripture and (gulp) pride myself in the academic knowledge I have. No better than a scribe, I suppose. I need to get back to the "faith as a little child" and climb up in Daddy's lap and let Him hold me.

I told a friend today that I thought I heard God whisper to me yesterday. She said that if you're hearing something you want to hear, it's probably not the Lord. If it's something you do NOT want to hear, it probably IS. So the whisper I hear says to me, "Go to Rome."

I don't wanna hear it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sister Spitfire said...

I just wanted you to know that I had to start a stupid blog in order to say this...I hope you're happy. Thbbbbtttt!!!

OK back to what I was saying. I have no idea whether this might or might not apply to you, but I will say that my intellect was an idol. The Lord required me to move to the RCC far in advance of my understanding in order to break the power of that sin in my life. Obedience was an issue too...sigh.

3:17 AM  
Blogger wendy said...

Intellect as an idol....yeah, I think I resemble that! It's just so unlike me to consider jumping in to something without doing the research first and being convinced that it's the right way to go.

To paraphrase King Agrippa in Acts 26:28, "You think it a small task to make a Catholic of me?"

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home