02 October 2006

The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth

One of my Catholic sisters loaned me her copy of The Lamb's Supper by Scott Hahn. I had never thought of the worship in Heaven that St. John describes in Revelation in relation to worship in the Mass, so it was a fresh look at the Scriptures and a peek into the Mass, without the sounds, smells and bells. In the Introduction, Mr Hahn says that this book is not a Bible Study. In spite of that, I found myself reaching for my NAB to look up every text he referenced without quoting.

Chapter One - In Heaven Right Now
He begins by telling about his first time at Mass, as an "undercover" Presbyterian minister. He was driven there by curiosity, though he "didn't feel sure that it was a healthy curiosity." His curiosity was piqued in much the same way as mine - studying the writings of the early church and seeing words like "liturgy" and "the Eucharist" and wanting to understand what they meant. He was not expecting the Scripture that was being referred to every time someone spoke. He, as a Presbyterian, did not believe in the Real Presence until the moment the priest consecrated the Host, when his eyes were opened and he, quoting "Doubting" Thomas, said in his heart, "My Lord and my God! That's really You!"

I had experienced liturgy, first at an Episcopal church I visited in Ohio, and then God led me to Holy Trinity Lutheran Church. I was perfectly comfortable worshipping with the Lutherans, who also believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, though it's defined differently. I prayed and still pray for my dh to see the beauty and right-ness in liturgical worship.

I went to Mass, hoping for the same type of epiphany that Mr Hahn described. No dice. The difference for me was that I had already been educated on the Truths of Catholicism, I know that Catholics don't worship Mary and statues, or re-crucify Christ at the Mass. I understand the idea of a perpetual sacrifice, that Christ's death on the cross is just as effectual today as it was nearly 2000 years ago. He IS the One who paid for all my sins by his willingness to be the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. I went to Mass knowing what I would find. And God said, "Not just yet. Wait for Me, child." Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

Chapter Two - Given For You
The first passage Hahn referenced that gave me pause was his interpretation of Genesis 14:18-20. My Baptist upbringing taught me to read at the verses before and after, to get the context.

17
When Abram returned from his victory over Chedorlaomer and the kings who were allied with him, the king of Sodom went out to greet him in the Valley of Shaveh (that is, the King's Valley).
18
5 Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine, and being a priest of God Most High, he blessed Abram with these words:
19
6 Blessed be Abram by God Most High, the creator of heaven and earth;
20
7 And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your foes into your hand."
Here, Mr Hahn says that the bread and wine were a sacrifice to the Lord, but I see that Abram and company returned from victory and Melchizedek gave them bread and wine for sustenance, and blessed Abram; it was not an offering to the Lord which is why no animals were involved. It is enough for me that Melchizedek, a foreshadow of Christ, offered the bread and wine and a blessing for Abram, just as Christ gives us Himself so that we might be blessed and filled with Him.

The next time I "came up for air" was when Mr Hahn gives his interpretation of the Passover. "...God instructed each Israelite family to take an unblemished lamb without broken bones, kill it, and sprinkle its blood on the doorposts. That night, the Israelites were to eat the lamb. If they did, their firstborn would be spared." Um, no, that's not what it says.

(Ex. 12:7-14) They shall take some of its blood and apply it to the two doorposts and the lintel of every house in which they partake of the lamb.
8
That same night they shall eat its roasted flesh with unleavened bread and bitter herbs.
9
It shall not be eaten raw or boiled, but roasted whole, with its head and shanks and inner organs.
10
None of it must be kept beyond the next morning; whatever is left over in the morning shall be burned up.
11
3 "This is how you are to eat it: with your loins girt, sandals on your feet and your staff in hand, you shall eat like those who are in flight. It is the Passover of the LORD.
12
For on this same night I will go through Egypt, striking down every first--born of the land, both man and beast, and executing judgment on all the gods of Egypt-I, the LORD!
13
But the blood will mark the houses where you are. Seeing the blood, I will pass over you; thus, when I strike the land of Egypt, no destructive blow will come upon you.
14
"This day shall be a memorial feast for you, which all your generations shall celebrate with pilgrimage to the LORD, as a perpetual institution.
It was not because they ate the lamb that their firstborn was spared, but if they had applied the blood of that lamb to their doorposts. They were told to eat the lamb that night and not save any leftovers, BUT the Angel of Death didn't peek in the window to see if some Israelite woman had some lambchops wrapped up for later, but looked for the blood on the doorposts. It was the blood that "saved" them.

It is interesting to note that in the OT, only the priests were to eat the sin sacrifice (Lev. 7:17-19) but now that Jesus has made us ALL a royal priesthood, we can "take and eat" as well.

Chapter Three - From the Beginning
Most (not all) Protestant churches do not make the Eucharist (communion) a part of their weekly worship, and when they do it's a memorial, the bread and wine are symbols of Christ's body and blood. While it can be (and is) a solemn occasion, it just barely scratches the surface of what Jesus really meant when he said, "This is my body" and "This cup is the new convenant in my blood." One doesn't have to read too many early Church documents to see that it was MUCH more to them than a solemn memorial service with crackers and grape juice.

I love the last part of the Eucharistic Prayer in the Didache: Remember, Lord, your Church. Deliver it from all evil and perfect it in your love, and gather it together from the four winds -- the Church that has been sanctified -- into Your Kingdom which You have prepared for it."

Until quite recently, I had felt like the Lutheran church was exactly where God wanted me to be, and I still believe it is, for now; but now I see it as a stepping stone across the Tiber rather than a permanent place.

Chapter Four - Taste and See (and Hear and Touch) the Gospel
I mostly just nodded and "Amen-ed" his description of the liturgy. "Liturgy engages the whole person: body, soul, and spirit." I went to Vespers at a Coptic Orthodox church once, and that was my first experience with incense in worship. It took some getting used to, I honestly didn't care for the smell at first, but I've missed it ever since.

He goes on to talk about making the sign of the Cross, and why. "It is the mystery of the Gospel in a moment. It is the Christian faith summarized in a single gesture....It's not only an act of worship. It is also a reminder of who we are. 'Father, Son and Holy Spirit' reflects a family relationship, the inner life and eternal communion of God. Ours is the only religion whose one God is a family."

PART II ~ Chapter One - I Turned to See
Here he starts to go through Revelation, particularly the worship in Heaven before the throne, day and night God hears "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God almighty, who was, and who is, and who is to come" and I doubt He ever tires of it. Liturgy is NOT the "vain repetition" that Jesus taught against; interestingly, in the very next breath He gave us the Our Father.

Chapter Two - Who's Who in Heaven

Some parts of all views of Revelation/eschatology are correct. Scripture operates on four levels, and all levels teach God's one truth. The pattern in Revelation of covenant, fall, judgment and redemption, not only describes one time period of history, but any and all of history, including our own. I can certainly see the pattern in my life.

Oh, and there's Mary in Revelation 12. WHAT!?!? I'd never been told that by a dispensationalist! The Woman, they say, is Israel. It's all symbolic. Personally, I say, yes, it's BOTH Israel (figuratively) AND Mary (literally). Go here for a great lesson in the Both/And application of Scripture.

Chapter Three - Apocalypse Then
Once again, I have to agree with Hahn when he says that the futuristic reading of Revelation should not be our primary focus. "Generations of futurists have gone before us, and died, wasting precious years on obsessive worries that Napoleon, Hitler, or Stalin was, at least, the beast foretold.

I learned that Parousia not only refers to Christ's Second Coming, but it also can mean "presence" and Jesus' Presence is not something we need to look forward to, but something we have today in the Eucharist. Yes, He is Coming - but He is HERE! Hallelujah!

I also learned that the seven churches addressed in Revelation - ALL seven of them - have had their lampstand removed, and those areas are predominately Muslim now. Catholics have to get special permission to have Mass.

Chapter Four - Judgment Day
I was reading along in this chapter, not objecting to much until I got to his interpretation of the Great White Throne Judgment. He says, "One day, you and I will be numbered among 'the dead' and we will be judged by what we have done." HOLD IT. I am NOT "among the dead" I am alive in Christ! There is judgment for Christians, but "this ain't it!"

This is really long so I'll finish my review in another post, coming soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home