06 January 2007

Take up your cross

I am looking forward to what the new year will bring me and my family. I am praying fervently for my husband to see (and embrace) the Truth I have found in the Catholic church, but I know now that I must become Catholic. I always said that I did not want to move forward without him. I refrained from seeking membership at the Lutheran church because I always said that I would not join without him, and he has yet to step foot into the Lutheran church for a worship service. He says it's fine if that's how I'm fed, (meaning the liturgy) like this has anything to do with ME or what I want. I was perfectly fine worshipping with the Lutherans and blessed their ever loving hearts for allowing me to share Holy Communion with them.

For some reason, I don't have that same hesitation about becoming Catholic. Now that I know that is where my destination is, I'm fired up and ready to get there. I think it has a lot to do with my results-oriented personality. I've never been one to fuss over the details and take any more time than absolutely necessary to do things. To borrow a phrase from Larry the Cable Guy, I prefer to "Git-'er-Done!"

Apparently this character trait is something the Lord is working on in me. I know I can't just walk in and tell the priest that I'm really already Catholic, I have been studying the Catechism, I believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, so can I pretty please just skip all those silly classes? I was looking online for Mass times and sure enough, someone else thinks like me!

Q. Why do I have to go have to go through all of these programs to join the Church? Can’t you make it easier?

A. Is anything worthwhile easy? But seriously…the Church wants you to understand as fully as possible what it is you are joining. In being received in to the Church, you will be asked to state that you believe in all that the Church teaches. It is important that you know what you are agreeing to! Additionally, programs like RCIA are wonderful opportunities to grow deeper in your relationship with Christ as you prepare to enter His church.


This is not going to be easy, quick, or painless. I already feel pangs when I think about attending Mass but not participating in the Eucharist. I pray that with God's grace I will be able to offer up that pain and hunger as my cross to bear as I follow Jesus into His Church.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sister Spitfire said...

Congratulations! I am thrilled for you and will be praying for you as you wait for your first Eucharist!

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home